NSWWRL 2019 Grand Final Game Report

NSW Wheelchair Rugby League Grand Finals were held on Sunday 14/04/2019 at Menai Indoor Sports Stadium.

Tier Two  - Wrap-up 

The minor premiers Penrith Panthers took on the every improving Canberra Raiders in the NSWWRL Plate Grand Final, this game was a true showcase of the whole reason this competition exists.

Both teams came focused and it showed in the first half with the strong defensive from each team making tries and points limited. But in the dying moments of the first half the Raiders scored the first try of the game.

After the break Canberra scored a few more times and quickly the score became 24-4, but the Panthers weren't going to let the Raiders take the glory that easy. With the Panthers pride on the line they bounced back with a number of back to back tries, and took the lead with 3mins remaining in the match 26-24.

In the final minutes of the contest the panthers were called for being offside and gave the Raiders a kick off in-front to level the score. Canberra's captain Tim Robinson converted and sent the game into extra time for the first in Wheelchair Rugby League history.

With both sides pushing as hard as they could for 50mins, they now needed to dig a little deeper for another 10mins to determine a winner.

It was the combination of Captain Tim Robinson and 'The Enforcer' Ralph Hasna that scored the game winner try.

Canberra Raiders 32 def. Penrith Panthers 26   

Tier One - Wrap-up 

The NSWWRL Cup Minor Premiers and regular season undefeated Wests Tigers took on the competitions back to back grand finalists St George Illawarra Dragons.

This game was a battle from the start with a some of the best talent in Wheelchair Rugby League on show.

The excitement of the game had the local crowd on the edge of their seats from the kick-off, both teams had a game plan and it was going to be the team that was able to adapt to the moment best game to winner.

Tigers young gun Liam Luff was the first to score and give the Wests the lead, but this was short lived as the Dragons own young gun Cory Cannane crossed the line shortly after.

The Dragons kept there attack on the Tigers defense and scored a few more tries taking them into the break with 22-4 lead.

Straight after the break Brad Grove started the Tigers in positive motions with bring the score to 22-10. But the Dragons hit back and pulled to the lead to 32-10.

The Tigers weren't given up on any chance they had to bring this game back, on the back of the two speedters Stephan Rochecouste and Brad Grove lead the charge. Soon the score was 32-20.

But the it was Craig Cannane, the skipper for the Dragons who was able to cross over the line in the last 10 minutes, to give the Dragons their third premiership in three years.

St George Illawarra Dragons 38 def. Wests Tigers 26

© 2016 by NRL Wheelchair.


  • Facebook Clean
  • Twitter Clean